Recipe by The Gibraltar Vegan instagram.com/thegibraltarvegan
(The recipe is enough for two burgers. I recommend changing up the herbs and using rosemary or cumin or changing the mustard to English or vegan horseradish if you wish to make varieties.)
- 230 g black beans (this is roughly one can and does not include the liquid, if you use dry beans you will need to about ¼ cup – cook them and let them chill in advance of using)
- 2 tsp wholegrain mustard
- 4 cloves of roughly diced garlic
- 1 tbsp diced fresh flat leaf parsley
- ¼ large white onion
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- Pinch of salt and pepper
To accompany the burgers:
- 2 burger buns
- 1 handful rocket lettuce
- 2 slices of vegan cheese
- ¾ large white onion chopped
- 1 tsp vegan mayo
- 1 tsp tomato ketchup
1. Drain the beans from the can and rinse well. Shake off all excess water.
2. Place the beans in a blender and add mustard, garlic, parsley, onion, chia seeds, salt and pepper.
3. Blend until well mixed but not until it’s too smooth, a bit of texture is nice.
4. Shape into patties and place in the fridge so that they bind well, thanks to the help of chia seeds.
5. Light up the BBQ and cook until nicely charred on both sides.
6. Sauté the chopped onion.
7. Slightly toast the burger buns and then stack the food, starting with mayo, then rocket, burger, cheese, onions and finally tomato ketchup, or in any combination you prefer.