Jackfruit has the same consistency of pulled pork and is a great meat substitute. It absorbs the spice and barbeque sauce flavours surprisingly well.
PREPARATION TIME: 15 minutes
COOKING TIME: 20 minutes
Makes 4 very full tacos or 6 if you like less filling
1 can of jackfruit
1 small red onion
2 cloves of garlic
½ tsp of paprika
¼ cup of water
2 tbsp of vegan BBQ sauce (I used Biona organic)
1 tsp of liquid smoke (optional)
1 can of rosecoco beans (black beans are also good)
Flat tortilla wraps
Grated vegan cheese (I used Violife mozzarella)
Salt and pepper to taste
Avocado oil for cooking (or your preferred oil)
- Drain and rinse the jackfruit, remove the core and the seeds, chop so it looks shredded.
- Dice the red onion and mince the garlic.
- Heat the oil over a medium heat. Add the onion and season with salt and pepper. Cook until the onions are wilted.
- Add the minced garlic and paprika, coating the onion.
- Add the jackfruit, water and season again with salt and pepper.
- Cover and let it cook for 10 minutes.
- Once the jackfruit is soft, mash it with either a potato masher or a wooden spoon to give it more of a shredded appearance.
- Stir in the BBQ sauce and add the liquid smoke. (The liquid smoke is optional but will give the Jackfruit a smokier meat like taste.) Cook for a further 3 minutes.
- Drain and rinse the beans, heat them up in either a saucepan or microwave. Heat up the tortillas. Slice the avocado.
- Assemble your taco. Start with the spinach, then beans, then the jackfruit – top it off with avocado and the grated cheese.
Recipe by The Gibraltar Vegan, instagram.com/thegibraltarvegan