CHOCOLATE HAZELNUT SPREAD
1 cup (140g) of raw unsalted hazelnuts
32g of dairy free chocolate
¼ tsp pure vanilla extract
¼ tsp Himalayan pink salt
Roast the hazelnuts for 10-12 mins at 175C in a single layer on a tray.
Remove from the oven and let them cool so they are easy to touch. Place them on either a large piece of kitchen towel or a tea towel and roll them around until the skins come off.
Place the hazelnuts in the blender and blend on a low speed (you do not want the hazelnuts to get too hot) until a smooth butter is produced. You will need to halt the process to scrape down the sides.
Melt the chocolate over hot water and when the butter is ready, add it to the mix together with the salt and vanilla extract. Blend it until you have all the ingredients mixed.
Your chocolate hazelnut spread is ready, so place in a jar or dish. It can be kept in the fridge for two weeks.
PANCAKES (MAKES 6)
1 cup (114g) of plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 pinch of salt
1 cup (250ml) of non-dairy milk (I used Oatly organic)
1 tbsp of chia seed
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
2 tsp vanilla extract
A vegetable oil for cooking
2 bananas (a sweet substitute for sugar)
1. Mix the milk and chia seeds in a jug or bowl, stir well. Then add the vanilla and apple cider vinegar and stir again.
2. In a bowl, add the flour, baking powder and salt together and mix.
3. Add the milk chia seed liquid to the flour mix and stir until all the ingredients are blended. Do not beat.
4. Heat your pancake pan with the oil of your choice. Once hot, spoon the batter into the pan and cook at a medium heat.
5. Once bubbles are appearing on the top of the pancake, flip it over. If you’re feeling brave, toss the pan!
6. As your pancakes cook slice the banana in half and then into three, giving you six pieces per banana. Start frying the banana in a little bit of oil until golden.
7. Once all your pancakes and bananas are ready prepare to create your stack.
8. You can layer the pancakes any way you like, I have two ways I like to do this.
a. Smear all three pancakes with the chocolate hazelnut spread and stack placing bananas in between each pancake.
b. The second way is to stack the pancakes with bananas in between and lash the chocolate hazelnut spread on top letting it drizzle down the side.
recipe by The Gibraltar Vegan