With red being the colour of love, what looks better on Valentine’s Day than an open Berry Tart? They look and taste so delicious, so it’s no wonder that they say that berries are good for the heart.
Recipe by The Gibraltar Vegan, follow instagram.com/thegibraltarvegan for updates
- 225g plain flour
- 100g vegan butter
- 1/2tsp vegan butter for greasing
- 1/8tsp table salt
- 110g icing or caster sugar
- 2tbsp water
- 200g frozen berry mix
1. In a bowl, mix the flour, salt, 10g of the sugar and vegan butter together and rub in with your fingertips until it looks like breadcrumbs.
2. Add the water and mix until the dough is firm.
3. Remove from the bowl and knead it on a floured surface.
4. Wrap it in cling film and chill it in the fridge for 20 minutes.
5. Grease your pie tin with butter or greased greaseproof paper.
6. Preheat your oven to 200°C.
7. When the 20 minutes is over, remove it from the cling film and start rolling it out over a flat, floured surface. Do not roll it too thin as you do not want the berries to fall through the bottom once it is cooked.
8. Once you have the pastry rolled out to the size of your pie tin gently place it inside. Be careful as you pat down the edges to fit the bottom of the tin. If you do accidentally create a hole use a small bit of left over pastry that has been wet slightly to patch it up.
9. Using a knife trim the pastry off around the tin so that it is flush with the ridge of the tin. Then using a fork place a little indentation on the edge.10. Fill, but not to the brim, the pastry with fruit that has been drained of the juice.
11. Sprinkle the 100g of sugar on top.
12. Cut out love heart shapes with left over pastry and place in whatever format you would like over the fruit.
13. Bake in the oven at 200°C for 20-25 minutes, until golden.
14. Let it cool down before eating so the fruit does not burn your mouth.