The Gibraltar Financial Services Commission (GFSC) will take part in World Investor Week (WIW), a global campaign promoted by the International Organisation of Securities Commissions (IOSCO) that runs from 30 September to 4 October.
The weeklong campaign is aimed at raising awareness of the importance of investor protection and education.
During WIW, the GFSC will be hosting information stands in a number of locations from 30 September to 2 October between 10:00 & 14:00. GFSC staff will be available to provide information on safe online investing, digital assets and Initial Coin Offerings, as well as re-emphasising the basics of investing. The GFSC will also be publishing an informational video and several infographics throughout the week to raise awareness of the potential risks involved in online investing.
Information stands will be located at the Piazza on Monday and Tuesday and at the World Trade Centre on Wednesday from 10:00-14:00.
Notes for editors:
- The GFSC is a regulator of the Gibraltar financial services market, regulating providers of financial services conducted in both Gibraltar and other jurisdictions. The GFSC’s vision is to be a high performing, agile, and innovative regulator.
- The GFSC’s regulatory objectives are the promotion of market confidence; the reduction of systemic risk; the promotion of public awareness; the protection of the good reputation of Gibraltar; the protection of consumers and the reduction of financial crime.
- IOSCO aims to:
- cooperate in developing, implementing and promoting adherence to internationally recognized and consistent standards of regulation, oversight and enforcement in order to protect investors, maintain fair, efficient and transparent markets, and seek to address systemic risks;
- enhance investor protection and promote investor confidence in the integrity of securities markets, through strengthened information exchange and cooperation in enforcement against misconduct and in supervision of markets and market intermediaries; and
- Exchange information at both global and regional levels on their respective experiences in order to assist the development of markets, strengthen market infrastructure and implement appropriate regulation.
- World Investor Week highlights various initiatives used by regulators that focus on the importance of investor protection and education. Participating IOSCO members provide a variety of local activities such as promoting educational contests, organising workshops, conferences, and other events.
- Activities that are part of World Investor Week are captured on the dedicated campaign website www.worldinvestorweek.org. The WIW 2018 Public Reportalso provides an overview of the activities that took place worldwide in 2018.
- For further information please contact the GFSC on 200 40283 or email@example.com.