Summer is coming and with it brings the heat and our love for light and tasty meals. These black chickpea balls have a slight nutty flavour and are somewhat crunchy. They can be enjoyed either hot or cold.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Resting time for the mixture before baking: 1 hour
Cooking time: 10-12 minutes
INGREDIENTS FOR THE BLACK CHICKPEA BALLS
90g of dry black chickpeas (these need to soak overnight)
½ cup chopped mint
6 cloves of garlic
3 tbsp of chickpea flour
4 tsp of cumin
2 tsp of turmeric
½ tsp of cayenne pepper
¾ tsp of salt
½ tsp of fresh ground black pepper
2 tbsp of chia seeds (mixed with the equivalent of water to make the mixture bind)
INGREDIENTS FOR THE SALAD
Spinach, sweet red and orange peppers, cherry tomatoes, spring onions, sesame seeds, pumpkin seeds, pistachio nuts and pomegranate.
1. Make sure the black chickpeas are soaked overnight, dry chickpeas are essential to these balls.
2. Add the black chickpeas to a food processor with the shallots, mint, garlic, chickpea flour, cumin, turmeric, cayenne pepper, chia seeds mixed with the water, salt and pepper. Blend on low, you don’t want it to turn into a dip. Scrape the sides down and mix with a spoon if necessary.
3. When the mixture is blended well, remove from the processor and let it rest for an hour.
4. Scoop out some of the mixture and start forming the balls with your hands.
5. Place on a baking tray (with tin foil) and bake for 10-12 minutes at 200°C in a fan assisted oven.
6. Prepare the salad while the chickpea balls bake.
Recipe by The Gibraltar Vegan: instagram.com/thegibraltarvegan