Chickpea mayo sandwich filler and cassava crisps.
As the kids head back to school, a lunchbox that both they and you can tuck into is ideal. The sandwich filler can be placed into any type of bread, whatever is easier for those small hands. The cassava crisps are both tasty and healthy as they are baked in the oven.
Warning, this lunchbox may cause food envy!
CHICKPEA MAYO SANDWICH FILLER
1 large jar of chickpeas
½ red onion finely chopped
10 cornichons finely chopped
2 tsp wholegrain mustard
2 tsp apple cider vinegar
¼ tsp salt
¼ tsp turmeric
2 tbsp vegan mayo
This can be stored in the fridge in an airtight container for two days.
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas. Place in a large bowl and using a potato masher, smash them until they are almost smashed leaving some rough peas.
- Add all the other ingredients and mix well.
1 large cassava root
2 tbsp avocado oil (or your oil of choice)
½ tsp coarse pink Himalayan salt
- Preheat the oven to 220 degrees celsius
- Peel the cassava root and slice into thin (or thick if you prefer) slices
- Toss the cassava slices in the oil and salt
- Lay them out flat on a baking tray that has been lined with greaseproof paper, do not overlap the crisps
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, flip them over and bake for a further 5-10 minutes until golden
Recipe by The Gibraltar Vegan instagram.com/thegibraltarvegan